Sunday, April 25, 2010

I made it!!!

Yesterday, I completed my first 1/2 marathon. For those of you that don't know, that is 13.1 miles. I never really thought I'd enjoy running, but I kind of do. My Dad challenged me at Christmas to do the 1/2 marathon with him and at first I laughed, but then I decided to take him up on his challenge and started some training. I didn't get far before I hurt my foot and had to take a break for several weeks. Then, my next hurdle was blistered feet. I couldn't manage to get them to heal. It was ridiculous and I'd never seen blisters that bad. Yesterday, that was my biggest pain. I felt pretty good, considering, but just couldn't stay going for any long periods becasue my feet were in such pain. Needless to say, I didn't make the goal I had set for myself, but I finished and that is what really matters. It felt great to cross that finish line and have some cheerleaders there too only made it more rewarding!!
Despite the forecast, Alex and the kids as well as two great friends from church were there to cheer me on at the finish line. Here is a shot of Maddie holding up her sign. One side was for me and one side was for Papa Monkey (my dad).

If you look in the center of the picture you can see me and my dad. He is wearing a blue shirt and I'm beside him in white and black.


Here is a close up of us seeing our cheerleaders just before the finish line. (Thanks for the picture Shelly and Madi!!!)

We made it and are still standing!!! :-)

2 comments:

Alex said...

I am SOOOO PROUD of you!

Perry family said...

Thanks honey!