Thursday, June 3, 2010

California Trip

Alex and I started last year taking a summer trip, just the two of us, to spend some time together without the distraction of the kids. It was really nice and we both looked forward to doing it again. This year we decided to stay a little closer to home since Casey is getting pretty far along in her pregnancy and she is our primary care giver when we go. (Thanks Casey!!!) However, as time got closer, she started having some issues with her pregnancy and we had to mix up the plan a little and we ended up with several helpers. The kids started with Alex's parents for a few days, then went and stayed with some of our friends, The Reed's for the weekend, and then ended the trip with Casey and my Dad. They had a great time, but were definitely ready for us to come home. Maddie doesn't care for us to ever go on another trip! LOL


California was our destination for this summer. We started out in La Jolla, in the San Diego area. We did a lot of driving around checking out all the local sites and suggested places. We did a bicyle tour on our own on this double bicyle as you can see. It was definitely an interesting adventure. Alex swears he did all the work, but I can tell you that it wasn't all easy for me either.


We did look really cool though and NO ONE could tell we were tourists! LOL

This is an area at the La Jolla Cove where all the seals sunbathed. I thought it was neat just how close you could get to them. We had planned a kayaking trip of the coves, but the day we were going the tide got too high and we couldn't go. I was bummed because that was one of the things I really wanted to do while I was there and it just didn't happen. :(

After five days in San Diego, we hopped on a plane and headed over to San Francisco to wrap up our trip. I have always wanted to go there. Alex has already been before but couldn't wait to show me around himself.


We did a tour of Alcatraz Island, which I have to admit, I had NO desire to do, but went. I was pleasantly surprised!! It was really neat and a lot of interesting history there. I really enjoyed it.


We got to see almost the entire facility. I couldn't believe just how small the cells where. It was unbelievable. And then the isolation cells where even worse. WOW! I took so many pictures and looking back, they just don't do justice to actually being there. It is something I would recommend you check out if you ever get the opportunity.

We did so many things while we were there, that I can't get them all in, but I wanted to hit some of the high points. We went to the Fishermans Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, wine country, and Chinatown.

I got to ride on a cable car, which I have never done and thought would be so cool.

It was a fun trip, but I think we were both ready to be back home with the kids! We missed them!!!!

No comments: