Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ashton's Writing

9Alex and I went out for a date night just before new years. We had dinner and then went to his hockey game. I rarely get to watch him play because their games are typically too late for the kids to go or me to get a sitter. Just after the second period began, Alex was headed toward the net and he hit a rough spot in the ice and went full speed into the boards. He was instantly on his face on the ice. His legs had gone all crooked and it looked like he had gone head first when he hit. I jumped up and kept telling the other wife sitting with me that I wasn't going to be "that wife" that went to check on him but that it didn't look good. :( After a few minutes, he was up, holding his arm in visible pain and headed straight for the locker room. A friend that plays with him immediately yelled at me to get ice. When I got back to the locker room with the ice, I discovered it wasn't just one of those shake it off kind of injuries. He thought he'd dislocated his shoulder or possibly broken it. A guy was helping to get his skates off and then we got as much of his gear off as we could without hurting him. I took him to the emergency room where we spent the next several hours finding out what the damage was. No dislocated shoulder or even broken shoulder. Yay for that! It was an AC Separation, which is where the collarbone (clavicle) meets the shoulder blade (acromion). They sent us home with meds and orders to see an orthopedic the next week after the holiday. It was a long weekend for Alex because he couldn't get comfortable and therefore couldn't sleep. The kids and I all tried to help him with as much as we possibly could. I tell you all of this because Ashton has to journal at school and this week his entry was about his daddy. Check it out!


Just in case you need help with it. This is what it says:




My dad is hurt. He can't play hockey because he broke his shoulder at hockey against the boards. He hit it because there was something on the ice. He had to go to the emergency room. I have to take care of him because he can not open his water bottle. I have to do everything for him. BOO! My dad is a pain.





I love it!

No comments: