Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ashton is reading

Ashton's teacher, Mrs. Jennings started last week sending home a book each night for Ashton to sit down and read to us. We have to sign off that it was done, check a box as to whether he read it to us or if we had to read it to him and then note any struggles he had with it. I must admit, it isn't the easiest homework assignment I've ever assisted my child with. I LOVE that he is so eager to read because I've never loved to read myself and have to make a conscious effort to do it more. He is so excited to learn more words, however it can be a little painful at the same time for mom and dad. I want him to sound the words out himself, but some times it takes so long for him to get it that it is like pulling teeth in VERY SLOW MOTION! Alex has actually decided that there should be a program started where prisoners should have to listen to a 1st grader read on a daily basis as part of their punishment! Yes, that is how painful my sweet husband thinks listening to Ashton read some of these books is. Ashton is doing great though and I can tell how quickly he's picking up on it. It won't be long and he'll be reading chapter books!!!! WOW, he is growing up too fast!

No comments: