Sunday, September 4, 2011

Maddie's Struggling

Monday, we headed back to school and I was a little concerned about how difficult it might be for Maddie to go back to school after two days at home. We talked a long time about how important it was for her to be big and I even told her I'd take her for a little surprise after school if she could go in like a big girl with NO TEARS. She wasn't sure she could do it but I kept telling her she could. I reminded her of a bible verse that she learned a year or so ago at church that we frequently mention around our house. "Be strong and brave because God is with you." (Joshua 1:9) I told her that she should repeat that verse to herself any time she felt like she might cry and it would help her. She repeated the verse back to me and we got out of the car and headed in. We went about our routine as usual and walked Ashton to class and then back to hers. She walked in, put her things away, gave me a hug and kiss and then a high five. She did it! She did not cry and even smiled from ear to ear because she was so proud of herself for doing it!!! I was super happy and proud of her too! After school, I took her to get her toenails painted and she was on cloud nine.

Tuesday, Alex took her to school and she was back to tears. :( The rest of the week was a roller coaster of emotions for her. She would begin to get upset the minute we got out of the car and then I'd have to "talk her into" being big so I could leave. I've always hated to leave the kids while they were still crying. I tried to explain to her that it makes mommy sad when she is crying, but that didn't seem to matter to her. One day, her teacher had to pry her off my leg as she called out "please mommy just one more hug!". It broke my heart, but I KNOW that I have to just drop her and go so it doesn't make it worse. I am continuing to pray that this is short lived and that we will be looking back on it VERY soon and talking about how silly it was that she was crying.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Way to give her a verse for the day! That's so awesome! I will be praying for her tomorrow after the long weekend. I hope it's a smooth transition back for them both!