Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Maddie's Birthday Party

Saturday we had Maddie's 5th birthday party! I know, I can't believe it either. I keep saying things to her and having to correct myself that she is 5 years old NOT 4 years old. It is crazy!!!


When Maddie decided she wanted a party at home this year, I got a little excited. Alex immediately told me I was being ridiculous and going overboard and I kept telling him that this was a milestone birthday and I couldn't help it. She's only going to turn five and be going to kindergarten once! I am sure you can imagine where this conversation went. LOL Alex told me milestone birthdays are like 100, not 5 and that I would turn every year in to a milestone some how to justify my party planning. We laughed and I went on planning her party as I wanted. (I love my husband for just going with it!)


I took Maddie shopping and let her choose her invitations and then I ran with it from there with some input from her here and there. She loved the cupcake invitations and so I immediately called my friend, Katrina, to start helping me brainstorm. Alex, probably really needs to thank her for me going a little more crazy, she found hundreds of websites and emailed me all kinds of pictures and ideas. It was great! I did find a cake online that I loved and Alex had already asked me to use a girl he met thru work for her cake this year. So, I emailed her a link to the cake and told her what I wanted to modify and our color scheme and this is what we got.I loved it! (If you want to give Heather a try, you can find her by clicking on her name and going to her site or email me and I can give you her contact information.)


Alex wasn't totally out on the party planning. He did suggest me doing little aprons for all the girls as party favors instead of the traditional favors (junk as he called it). This way they could use them to decorate their cupcakes, without messing up their clothes, but then take them home for a little gift. I loved the idea and tried to customize them each to the little girls favorite colors and/or parents' favorite team! (Jason and Leann)The girls all had a good time decorating their bags to fill with the pinata goodies and then decorating and eating their cupcakes. It wasn't near as messy as I thought it might get and the girls seems to really like it, which I was glad!After cupcakes, we played a little limbo upstairs and then headed out for some water fun to cool off from the heat. This turned out to be a hoot! Number one, Alex NEVER lets the kids play in the front yard because he is VERY particular about his grass. However, for some reason he decided that is where they could play with the water toys, including a slipe and slide. Everyone at the party was in amazement because pretty much anyone that knows even the least little bit about us, KNOWS this was major! The kids had a great time, including Kaleigh and Lillie, our little toddler buddies!!!! I wasn't sure they'd really get involved but they both were totally fine being drug down over and over. :-)


And the party wouldn't be complete without Maddie's special request:


A CUPCAKE PINATA!!!!!!!!After that, we let her open her presents and then the kids all scattered doing random things. Here is a shot I couldn't resist sharing of the girls after they got all dressed up and put their make up on. It seemed like they spent half an hour in my room getting ready. Don't they all look beautiful!?!?!

No comments: