Friday, August 5, 2011

Proud Mommy Moment and Meeting the Teacher

On the way home from school in the afternoons, traditionally Ashton and I would discuss his day. I always ask the basic same questions and he answers. Most days, I get much more than I asked for, but I love it. There will come a time when he doesn't want to tell me about his day anymore and I'm going to milk it for as long as I can now. Thursday afternoon was no different, except that I had a MAJOR Proud Mommy Moment!! It went a little something like this:

Me: Hey dude, did you eat all your lunch today?

Ashton: Yeah

Me: How about your snack?

Ashton: No, I gave it away.

Me: What? Why did you give it away? Were you not hungry?

Ashton: I gave it to this kid that sits behind me. He didn't have a snack and I was busy working on something, so I just asked him if he wanted mine.

Me: Aaaahhhh, Ashton that was very nice of you. (then I start fishing for just how kind was he....) So did he ask you for it or what?

Ashton: No, he was just sitting there and another kid asked where his snack was and he said he didn't have one. I turned around and said I'm not eating mine, ya want it?!?

Me: Well, Ashton that was very nice of you and I'm proud of you for doing that.


With summer coming to an end, I've been ready for the kids to get back in school and in a routine. They've been getting on each others' nerves and I've felt like I was failing as a mom to maintain their behavior along the way. I know its just a phase and so forth, but I can't help it. However, its these kinds of moments that make a parent realize that all their hard work is paying off. :-)


After dinner, we went to school for Meet the Teacher night. We all started out in the gym where the principal talked a bit then dismissed us to our child's class room. Ashton got Mrs. Jennings this year. He seems to REALLY like her, especially because she is a big hockey fan. As everyone knows, that is definitely going to mesh perfectly with the Perry family! She did a little talk and then allowed us to look around her room as she went around and talked to us each individually. She is really nice and we're looking forward to a great year!

No comments: